McDowell County Schools Literacy Leadership Team’s mission is to foster a culture of literacy across all disciplines.14-15 Goals:
2. To improve writing instruction across all disciplines
Marzano’s Six Step Process for Learning Academic Vocabulary
1. Teacher provides a description, explanation, or example of the new term.
2. Students restate the definition in their own words.
3. Students produce a non-linguistic representation, such as a picture, symbol, or graphic.
4. Engage students in activities that help them add to their knowledge of the terms in their notebooks.
5. Students periodically discuss terms with each other.6. Involve students periodically in games that allow them to play with the terms.
College and Career Readiness Anchor Standards forWriting
Text Types and Purposes
1. Write argumentsto support claims in an analysis of substantive topics or texts, using validreasoning and relevant and sufficient evidence.
2. Writeinformative/explanatory texts to examine and convey complex ideas andinformation clearly and accurately through the effective selection,organization, and analysis of content.
3. Write narrativesto develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective technique,well-chosen details, and well-structured event sequences.
Production and Distribution of Writing
4. Produce clear andcoherent writing in which the development, organization, and style areappropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
5. Develop andstrengthen writing as needed by planning, revising, editing, rewriting, ortrying a new approach.
6. Use technology,including the Internet, to produce and publish writing and to interact andcollaborate with others.
Research to Build and Present Knowledge
7. Conduct short aswell as more sustained research projects based on focused questions,demonstrating understanding of the subject under investigation.
8. Gather relevantinformation from multiple print and digital sources, assess the credibility andaccuracy of each source, and integrate the information while avoidingplagiarism.
9. Draw evidencefrom literary or informational texts to support analysis, reflection, andresearch.
Range of Writing
10. Write routinelyover extended time frames (time for research, reflection, and revision) andshorter time frames (a single sitting or a day or two) for a range of tasks,purposes, and audiences.Strategies: